What Are The 26 Rules Of Tupac's T.H.U.G.L.I.F.E. Code For Ethical Drug Dealing?
Back in 1992, there was a gang truce that happened in Watts, California called the 'Truce Picnic' or 'Watts truce'. During the 90s the grip that gangs had on communities was immense and the meetings were raucous events. NFL star Jim Brown marshaled the events and even hosted a sit-down in his Hollywood Hills home in hopes of breaking the cycle of gang violence. A truce was reached, however, it fizzled out over time. Although the truce was not universally adhered to, it is considered a major component in the decline of street violence in the city during the 1990s, 2000s, and 2010s.
2Pac did not attend the "Truce Picnic" but his 26 points of conduct for drug dealers called The Code Of T.H.U.G.L.I.F.E. (Thug Life) was presented as one of the key points during the meetings. The code was created by Tupac and his step-brother Mopreme in Oakland in 1992, sometime before the truce meetings occurred. 2Pac attended another meeting in Brooklyn, NY, where he presented the code to shot‑calling drug dealers from all over New York City.
From 2Pac's step-father's website - The Code of THUG LIFE is listed here. It details do's and don'ts for being a righteous thug and banger.
Code OF THUG LIFE:
1. All new Jacks to the game must know: a) He’s going to get rich. b) He’s going to jail. c) He’s going to die.
2. Crew Leaders: You are responsible for legal/financial payment commitments to crew members; your word must be your bond.
3. One crew’s rat is every crew’s rat. Rats are now like a disease; sooner or later we all get it; and they should too.
4. Crew leader and posse should select a diplomat, and should work ways to settle disputes. In unity, there is strength!
5. Car jacking in our Hood is against the Code.
6. Slinging to children is against the Code.
7. Having children slinging is against the Code.
8. No slinging in schools.
9. Since the rat Nicky Barnes opened his mouth; ratting has become accepted by some. We’re not having it.
10. Snitches is outta here.
11. The Boys in Blue don’t run nothing; we do. Control the Hood, and make it safe for squares.
12. No slinging to pregnant Sisters. That’s baby killing; that’s genocide!
13. Know your target, who’s the real enemy.
14. Civilians are not a target and should be spared.
15. Harm to children will not be forgiven.
16. Attacking someone’s home where their family is known to reside, must be altered or checked.
17. Senseless brutality and rape must stop.
18. Our old folks must not be abused.
19. Respect our Sisters. Respect our Brothers.
20. Sisters in the Life must be respected if they respect themselves.
21. Military disputes concerning business areas within the community must be handled professionally and not on the block.
22. No shooting at parties.
23. Concerts and parties are neutral territories; no shooting!
24. Know the Code; it’s for everyone.
25. Be a real ruff neck. Be down with the code of the Thug Life.
26. Protect yourself at all times..